• Share

Care at Home

Most people who are living at home with a serious illness receive some form of care and support. This is often provided by family members. If extra help is needed, daily care can be obtained by hiring a home health aide through a home care agency. This type of care may be needed on a limited basis or as much as 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Types of care include:

  • Skilled Care – short-term, intermittent visits and care from a nurse or physical therapist
  • Custodial Care – care for Activities of Daily Living (ADL), such as bathing, dressing, etc.
  • Other Support – additional services you many need depending on your situation

It is important to understand the difference between skilled care and custodial care so that you know where to begin to look for support and what is covered under your insurance. Skilled care services often include some support for custodial care, while custodial care does not usually include skilled care services. Both types of care can be arranged when you are discharged from the hospital, sub-acute rehabilitation facility or when you are living at home.

Medicare and other primary insurance providers will usually cover skilled services after discharge from a hospital or sub-acute rehabilitation facility. Policies differ, however, and services covered will be based on your level of skilled needs and expectation for recovery.

If you are a veteran, you may be eligible for skilled or custodial care through the Veterans Health Administration (1-800-827-1000).