Living with Serious Illness
Some of the most common questions about Living with Serious Illness are listed below.
To learn more about one of these questions, simply click on the question – the link will bring you to a specific page in the Living with Serious Illness section of The Guide.
For general information, visit the Living with Serious Illness Overview page of The Guide.
What kind of care is available?
- What is the difference between “skilled care” and “custodial care”?
- Where can I find a provider of “skilled care” in the home?
- Where can I find out about “custodial care” providers in the home?
- When should I consider a nursing home – or other facility outside the home?
- What is palliative care and when is it appropriate?
- When is hospice care appropriate and how do I enroll?
- How can I get spiritual and emotional support?
- What can I do if I am not satisfied with my care?